Superfoods are foods that go above and beyond, supporting health with their powerful sources of antioxidants, vitamins, enzymes, essential fatty acids, and other nutrients. And while you might be familiar with many fruits and veggies on the list (such as blueberries, kale, oats, and broccoli), there is one that you might not be as familiar with…the aronia berry (also known as the chokeberry). At B.O.S.S. Food Co. we love aronia berries with their rich antioxidant profile, so we made it one of the main ingredients in our MOVE® Fit Energy™ bars!
Aronia berries are native to North America. They grow in little dense clusters and are known for their tart, mouthwatering, unique flavor, which give it its name: chokeberry. Aronia berries are called nature’s healer and protector for many reasons. A few of these benefits are:
- - Highest Antioxidant Source – Aronia berries have the highest concentration of antioxidants of any fruit present today.
- - High Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) Rating – Because they are so rich in antioxidants, they also have an extremely high ORAC rating, meaning these dark little berries are able to greatly neutralize free radicals.
- - Support Sports Nutrition – Studies have found aronia berries to be supportive in reducing post-workout inflammation.
- - Weight Control – Research has shown that consuming chokeberries has been tied to lower blood glucose and a reduction in body fat. Their high levels of fiber allow for bowel health and weight management support.
- - High in Vitamin C and Iron – Just 100 grams of aronia berries is packed with 93% of the recommended daily intake of iron, which is crucial to our body’s oxidation processes, and 34% of our needed Vitamin C, which plays a role in forming collagen, as well as other anti-aging benefits.
Fresh aronia berries can be used to make juice, jam, or even wine, while dried berries can be eaten as a healthy snack, or added to cereals, muffins, or other baked goodies, like our delicious MOVE® Fit Energy™ bars!