At The B.O.S.S. Food Company® we are committed to providing only the highest quality products, which meet all of our standards for wholesome, clean, nutritious food. Part of that commitment is providing third-party verification for our claims. This year we have achieved a few certifications and this article will explain each one with some background information.
One percent of the global population has celiac disease, while around six percent of the population in the United States alone has gluten sensitivity (including our founder, Andrea). The B.O.S.S. Food Company® is a proud member of the Celiac Support Association (CSA) Recognition Seal Program (now run by the National Celiac Association), which means that we meet the strictest criteria of any gluten-free certification. Our CSA certification includes the following measures:
- Ingredient review: Ingredient specifications, Celiac and Allergen Check Lists, and documentation of ingredient sources for potentially questionable ingredients such as vanilla extract, flavorings, maltodextrin, vinegar, etc. are fully vetted to assure gluten-free product.
- Facility review: We submit written documentation of our allergen control plan, sanitation plan, and HACCP plans, as well as documentation of best practices procedures for receiving raw ingredients, storage, processing, and packaging. Facilities may be audited as a part of this procedure.
- Inspection of packaging: Packaging samples are provided to assure that no gluten containing materials are included within packaging and that packaging procedures and materials eliminate the possibility of outside contamination after products leave the production facility.
- Verification Testing: Samples of our final products are tested at the University of Nebraska Food Allergy Research and Resource Program (FARRP) Laboratory using the most sensitive measure available that is appropriate to the product. For most products, the FARRP lab uses the Neogen Veratox ® Quantitative Gliadin R5 ELISA measure with a lower limit of quantitation of 5 parts per million (ppm) gluten. Products must test below level of quantitation (BLQ) to qualify for the CSA Recognition Seal.
Our Paleo certification ensures that our bars are suitable for people following the Paleo diet and lifestyle. This means that our products are:
- 100% grain free
- Free of legumes
- Free of artificial colors, preservatives, sweeteners and flavor enhancers
The Paleo Foundation completes a thorough review of our ingredients and products during the certification process.
Subscribe to B.O.S.S. Food Co.
Keep up to date on the latest content, here at B.O.S.S. Food Co.